Essentials for a Rather Mini Miniature Schnauzer
Every dog owner has a list of essential items for their dog. My wife and I were always dog owners, but it’s been a while since either of us had a puppy so our “essentials list” developed day-by-day with Witty. I know we would have liked to have seen something like this before we got the lil’ one, so this is our attempt at laying those things out for others.
The first day, his grandparents lent us a crate and bought him a bed, vest, collar, treats, food, bowls, bowl-mat, and cleaning supplies. We paid his adoption, travel, vaccination and neutering fees before picking him up, but since having him with us, we’ve dropped a bit of coin on his veterinarian care. That includes x-rays, fees, blood work and medication. Those are dollars we would never want back, but all the same, it does add up.
Just as a guide for new Miniature Schnauzer owners and for our own record, we have listed out the essential items/services we’ve needed so far.
- Adoption Fee through AdoptALab (includes travel from Indiana to Connecticut, vaccinations and neutering)
- Second Collar (for when he outgrows the puppy one)
- Veggie Dog Treats (fruitables, Get Naked Dental Chew Sticks, Zuke’s Mini Natural Peanut butter training treats)
- Dog food – Eagle Pack Natural Dog Food (Puppy)
- Dog Bowls (2)
- Dog bowl mat
- Nature’s Miracle Dual Action Hard Floor Stain & Odor Remover
- Nature’s Miracle Pet Block Spray (for detering teething on things that shouldn’t be chewed!)
Veterinarian Expenses (thus far) – City Veterinary Care (Upper West Side)
- Initial Visit Fee
- Follow up Visit Fees
- Blood Testing
- Giardia Medication
Obviously, these expenses vary and not everything we bought was essential, but instead necessary for our situation.